It’s taken me a while to post this list. In part it was because I had so many albums I could’ve included, but a big part of it was I couldn’t decide on one that really was my album of the year. There wasn’t an album in 2015 that really stood head & shoulders above the rest for me.
I ended up going with albums that I just keep playing again and again. Ryan Adams’ covers album of Taylor Swift’s 1989 took me by surprise. When I heard he was doing it I was intrigued. I know he consistently makes great music, and often makes covers that are better than the original. Let’s have a heated debate here about Wonderwall! But when I heard his version of 1989 I was blown away. I’d only heard a few songs from the original Taylor Swift version on the radio and Ryan’s interpretation of songs like Out Of The Woods and All You Had To Do Was Stay made me want to check out Taylor’s versions. They were nowhere near as good (as much as I respect her), and in the case of the latter the whole feel of the lyrics was different. This is why I consider Ryan such an amazing artist. He can make everything sound like it was his song all along. And 1989 was a perfect example of that. Not every song worked as well as the others. Shake It Off for one. But, since its release, I listened to the Ryan Albums more than any other in 2015.
The Drake album took me by surprise. I’ve seen him live twice and kinda thought it wasn’t for me. But I loved this album! Death Cab never disappoint me. There isn’t a band out there like them. The Silversun Pickups album took me a few listens. I’ve always loved them but this album was a departure, but it grew on me slowly, and now it might be my favourite album of theirs. And Foals blended the heavy side of my music taste with indie, dance and a few other genres. They’re also one of the best live bands around these days.
This list includes none of the heavier albums I loved in 2015. I’ll post those tomorrow for anyone who enjoys a little aggression through their speakers….
But here are my non-metal albums of the year 2015. Looking forward to seeing what 2016 has to offer….
Got Spotify? Go here!
1. Ryan Adams – 1989
2. Drake – If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late
3. Death Cab For Cutie – Kintsugi
4. Silversun Pickups – Better Nature
5. Foals – What Went Down
6. Wolf Alice – My Love Is Cool
7. Kurt Vile – B’lieve I’m Going Down…
8. The Maccabees – Marks To Prove It
9. Jason Isbell – Something More Than Free
10. Tame Impala – Currents
11. The Chemical Brothers – Born In The Echoes
12. The Dead Weather – Dodge & Burn
13. Lianne La Havas – Blood
14. Glen Hansard – Didn’t He Ramble
15. The Arcs – Yours, Dreamily,
16. Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds – Chasing Yesterday
17. Cage The Elephant – Tell Me I’m Pretty
18. Allison Moorer – Down To Believing
19. Logic – The Incredible True Story
20. Guy Garvey – Courting The Squall
21. Rocky Votolato & Chuck Ragan – Kindred Spirit
22. Patrick Watson – Love Songs For Robots
23. Mumford & Sons – Wilder Mind
24. Kendrick Lamar – To Pimp A Butterfly
25. Idlewild – Everything Ever Written
26. Leftfield – Alternative Light Source
27. James Bay – Chaos & The Calm
28. Bill Ryder-Jones – West Kirby County Primary
29. Bully – Feels Like
30. Boy & Bear – Limit Of Love