I’m not sure how many people actually pay attention to posts like this but I can tell you I almost certainly take it way too seriously!
It starts with a playlist set up on iTunes and, throughout the year, I drag any album I deem worthy of consideration into that folder before going over the list intensively during the last few weeks of the year. I drive everywhere listening to every album still in the playlist and then sit down with pen and paper and try to put them in an order.
The order is pretty simple. These are the albums that I’ve loved during the past 12 months, with the ones I listened to the most at the top of that list.
Let’s get one thing out in the open though…. My music taste is weird. I love some music which many people would consider extremely heavy. I love electronic music and some pop music. I’ll listen to an album of melancholy acoustic music before throwing on The Dillinger Escape Plan. In between I’m happy to listen to Arctic Monkeys and Kings Of Leon, both of whom raised their game this year in my opinion.
I’m no music snob. In fact I despise music snobs. Listen to whatever makes you happy. Listen to music that makes you emotional or just makes you wanna dance. Just because I despise Maroon 5 doesn’t mean I’m gonna judge you because you play it on repeat. I just hope I’m not with you when you do!
So here’s my list. My favourite albums of 2013. You may agree with some. You’ll certainly disagree on at least a few. That’s exactly as it should be.
Norma Jean are a band I come back to time and time again, and Wrongdoers saw them diversifying their sound yet still keeping the intensity and the groove. Such an underrated band. And then there’s Kathleen Edwards. I’ve been a huge fan for years and am happy that I can now call her a friend. This album saw her exploring new sounds sonically and includes songs full of emotion and occasionally some heart-wrenching lyrics. The National are totally unique and just keep getting better and better, Letlive. almost capture the immenseness of their live show and grabbed Rock Sound’s Album Of The Year with The Blackest Beautiful. And then there’s Pearl Jam. They’re my fave band but this isn’t my favourite album of theirs but it still makes my top 5 and I’m looking forward to seeing them live again in the summer.
Happy New Year everyone and thanks for bothering to even read these words. Leave a comment if you have a minute….
Check out my Spotify Playlist which includes tracks from (almost!) every album in the list:
1. NORMA JEAN – WRONGDOERS
2. KATHLEEN EDWARDS – VOYAGEUR
3. THE NATIONAL – TROUBLE WILL FIND ME
4. LETLIVE. – THE BLACKEST BEAUTIFUL
5. PEARL JAM – LIGHTNING BOLT
6. BIFFY CLYRO – OPPOSITES
7. THE BRONX – THE BRONX IV
8. DAUGHTER – IF YOU LEAVE
9. KINGS OF LEON – MECHANICAL BULL
10. LORDE – PURE HEROINE
11. NINE INCH NAILS – HESITATION MARKS
12. LISSIE – BACK TO FOREVER
13. ATOMS FOR PEACE – AMOK
14. FOALS – HOLY FIRE
15. ALICE IN CHAINS – THE DEVIL PUT DINOSAURS HERE
16. THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN – ONE OF US IS THE KILLER
17. KT TUNSTALL – INVISIBLE EMPIRE
18. COUNTERPARTS – THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HELL & HOME
19. CITIZEN – YOUTH
20. FRIGHTENED RABBIT – PEDESTRIAN VERSE
21. BRING ME THE HORIZON – SEMPITERNAL
22. CHVRCHES – THE BONES OF WHAT YOU BELIEVE
23. ARCTIC MONKEYS – AM
24. BOARDS OF CANADA – TOMORROW’S HARVEST
25. LIKE MOTHS TO FLAMES – AN EYE FOR AN EYE
26. CULTS – STATIC
27. JASON ISBELL – SOUTHEASTERN
28. MODERN LIFE IS WAR – FEVER HUNTING
29. VOLCANO CHOIR – REPAVE
30. THE WONDER YEARS – THE GREATEST GENERATION
31. CITY AND COLOUR – THE HURRY & THE HARM
32. HEART OF A COWARD – SEVERANCE
33. TRC – NATION
34. LOCAL NATIVES – HUMMINGBIRD
35. PALM READER – BAD WEATHER
36. ALKALINE TRIO – MY SHAME IN TRUE
37. DEAFHEAVEN – SUNBATHER
38. SILVERSTEIN – THIS IS HOW THE WIND SHIFTS
39. THEE OH SEAS – FLOATING COFFIN
40. THE STROKES – COMEDOWN MACHINE
41. NAILS – ABANDON ALL LIFE
42. WOUNDS – DIE YOUNG
43. QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE – …LIKE CLOCKWORK
44. SASHA – INVOLV3R
45. VAMPIRE WEEKEND – MODERN VAMPIRES OF THE CITY
46. FOSSIL COLLECTIVE – TELL WHERE I LIE
47. A DAY TO REMEMBER – COMMON COURTESY
48. DEAF HAVANA – OLD SOULS
49. JIMMY EAT WORLD – DAMAGE
50. BAD RELIGION – TRUE NORTH